Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Reluctant Rugger

This last weekend I went up to Portland, Oregon to tryout for the U23 Northwest Pacific Grizzlies rugby team. I went to a camp earlier this year with my team and a bunch of other teams all over utah from which the girls were selected to go to the tryouts. Myself and four other girls from USU made up five of the seven girls from utah to go. Utah State hey Aggies all the way!

We left Thursday night (I considered not going at all because I really just wasn't feeling rugby right then. After Shannon threatened to come and tie me up and just throw me in the van I agreed.) after the girl from Weber (Wytnee) and UVU (Lisa) got up to Logan and it took us ten hours to drive up there more or less. We got about twenty minutes out of Portland and had to stop and sleep at a truck stop because we were all too tired to drive.




When we finally got to Portland we checked into our hotel and fell asleep for a few more hours. When we all woke up we decided to drive into portland and do some sight seeing.



It took Richie a few tries to parallel park but she got it down! I was so proud of her! Once that was taken care of, we headed to Powell's City of Books. Once I had gotten over that fact that no, I hadn't died and gone to heaven, I had to make a true effort to not drool so much as to ruin any of the books. I ended up buying five. That was me being frugal too! Luckily, I talked Shannon into buying a few books that I wanted. Such as a book dedicated to listing weapons that can be used during a zombie apocolypse once all the ammo is gone. Yeah.

After the city of books we went and wandered around Portland (the people there are freaking crazy by the way). We found this amazing Presbyterian church and went and walked around inside. After that we went to Voodoo Doughnuts. The bakers there are geniuses! We ordered the Voodoo Dozen and after five minutes with us this is what the box looked like.



After Voodoo Doughnuts we went back to the hotel and read/watched tv.

On Saturday we had the tryouts and I woke up still not really feeling rugby at all, but got dressed and went. Once we got there and started moving around I got more excited and was really warming up to it! Well we started running this drill where the offense was running some plays with a little defense. The defense was not tackling, only wrapping. Well I was on defense and went to wrap the girl with the ball, but my momentum was a little too much for just a wrap, so I went flying and the girl's foot came up and caught me right below my eyebrow. Needless to say, I saw stars and so I knelt there on the ground for a second.

"Are you ok?" Someone asked.
"I'll be fine, just give me a second." I replied.

At that point, one of the coaches came over. I don't know which one because I had my eyes shut.

"Whoa...that's going to need stitches."

With a little help, I hobbled off the field was put into a truck and driven to the ER by Gerard. He took this picture for me when we got there.



Four and a half hours, three ice packs, four episodes of Spongebob, and a glob of superglue later I was no longer oozing blood from my eyebrow and was on my way back to the pitch.

The next day i couldn't even open my eye so I couldn't try out. I ended up just reading one of the books that I'd bought on Friday. I watched them scrimmage at the end of the day and then we left.

When we were driving home I told Shannon that I blamed her. She just laughed.



My favorite reactions to my eye:

Tony: You realize you aren't supposed to put your face where the ball is right?
Me: Ah! You see, I always get really confused by that.
Tony: Were they really concerned or did they just laugh at you?
Me: They were mostly concerned I think...
Tony:...I would've laughed.
Me: I know.


Seargant Roberts: Are you ok!?
Me: Yeah, I'm fine! It doesn't even hurt so...
SGT Roberts: I'll kill him.
Me: Ummm...it was a girl actually....
SGT Roberts: Well I'll kill her too.

1 comment: