Thursday, April 15, 2010

Random Stupid

So this last week we've been even more random than usual. Sunday night we went and grabbed a bunch of braches that were set out on the side of the road, filled Rowbs' trunk with them actually, and went up the canyon to start a fire to roast marshmallows and starbursts. When we got up there, we discovered that the wood was too green to really catch. Luckily, there was a group of guys also up there with a fire and they let us take theirs and they left.

Yesterday, because it was such a nice day, JB, Rowbs, Richie, Ky and I ended up skipping some of our classes and just went and ate lunch in the park. We were outside pretty much all day, either just laying out, playing basketball, watching Rowbs play softball (Richie and I were quoting Brian Regan like the whole time we watched) among other things. We also decided last night that we wanted a fire pit in our backyard. So JB and Rowbs dug a lovely pit and lined it with rocks. We then went and got branches on the side of the road again (Hey! It was a few days later, we figured that it had to have dried out by now...) and it was still too green to burn. Good thing that Rowbs had a box full of wood that we had so we could burn that instead. We sat around our awesome fire, roasting peanut butter and marshmallows, starbursts and peeps, playing the guitar and talking.

We made the fire pit because we wanted to sleep outside. Originally, it was going to be Rowbs, Richie, JB, Shannon, Maggers, and I but it ended up just being Rowbs Richie and me. It was freezing. At like two in the morning I woke up shivering, again, and said to Rowbs:

Me: "Rowbs, it's freezing! We should go inside!"
Rowbs: "No! Just trade me spots, it's warmer in the middle. You go over I'll go under."

So I went into the middle of our three man sleeping bag and it was still pretty cold, although warmer than the edge.

We stayed out there all night. We stuck it out. And I got not near as much sleep as I would like. Rowbs said that if we'd admitted defeat and come inside it would've been lame. I say that coming in would've been the smart thing to do because then we would've been warm AND comfortable. But we stuck it out and I can now say that I've had my first campout of the year. I think I'm going to wait at least a month before I try another, but knowing me and my friends? We'll be out there again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment